Sunday 8 January 2012

# 92 Repair Fence Damaged in Storm

Today was a good day.  After yesterday's admission that the list was being driven by Miss Daisy (or at least it is Miss Daisy and I am Morgan Freeman's chauffeur driving character) things really got motoring today.  Five items were mercilessly defeated, and a number of others have had the gauntlet wafted in their general direction.

I started the day with a biggie - Repair Fence (#92).  In the recent  gale force winds that swept the country, one panel was completely brought down.  When I found out I was not happy.  Mainly because I would have to put it back up.  DIY is not listed on my CV under "Skills" or "Interests and Hobbies". Four years ago, when the last fence blew down, it took me (read father-in-law being ably watched by me) three weekends to put the new one up.  Although he did leave behind most of the tools I used today.  Turns out I'm a DIY genius - I knocked it up in no time and, touch wood, it'll survive the next set of gusty winds.

I had time to kill therefore and had decided to attack another item - # 18 Tidy Office.  For the record I decided all by myself.  My wife is, however, taking credit.  Rosie usually has to tell me what jobs need doing, I am unable to look around and see that there is work to do.  That is unless she has started doing it first, I then try and take over the job.  It drives her insane.  Just before Rosie left to go to the shops this morning she kindly suggested that I "get on with repairing the fence and sort the office".  So now it looks like I only did the jobs because she told me to.

Well the joke's on her because I didn't even finish tidying the office.  Instead I did some other jobs. Ha.  Egg on your face.  Riding on a Nick Knowles DIY high from the fence success I decided manual labour was the way to go, plus the toolbox was already out of the loft and it's a real pain carrying it up and down two flights of stairs.  I made short work of # 103 Put up Curtains in Office (I admit the tool box wasn't really required as the rail was already up and so were the rings); # 169 Put the Metal Carpet Thingy Back Down between Landing and Bathroom (this was altogether more challenging as I had reused the screws completing a 2010 item 'Put Up Children's Coat Hooks'); # 140 Fix Iwan's Wooden Jigsaw that Finn Broke Immediately Upon Opening on Christmas Morning (Super Glue. Done.  Twenty minutes later - broken.  Super Glue.  Done.)

So, after the most productive day so far, there are only one hundred and sixty items to go.  Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment